Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Sedum rupestre 'Angelina' at the entrance to the Cryptomeria Walk

Sedum 'Angelina' is one of those new breed of "marketable" plants. It's got Proven Winners written all over it. Because I'm a person who's preternaturally self-aware, I can hear the tone of  snobbish contempt in that sentence and....well, I'm wrong. It's not fair to hold against a plant the fact it was chosen for its ability to appeal to a mass market of unsophisticated gardeners. I think. Anyway I do like Angelina. I bet most people buy it in the spring or summer when it's bright yellow gold. It is a perfect plant for marketing; after being drawn to it by the color, think how reassuring it must be to read in the description that it thrives in poor dry soil. 

I like the winter color seen here (and here). Orange, amber, whatever. It's very cool and works perfectly at the base of the Japanese Maple.It's one of the sedums I planted last year in the new steps my sons did for me. Max blew the leaves off the steps today and the sedums are all tumescent and colored up, ready to grow as soon as it warms up.

No comments: