Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Phyllostachys heterocycla var. pubescens; we cut the big bamboo mon


Every year about this time, the folks in the Bonsai Museum ask us for a BIG piece of bamboo. We always oblige. I don't know the details, but I do know that eventually it ends up stripped of its brush greenery, holding fish kites? way up in the air. Nathan did it last year and balanced it atop his vehicle the way I did today. The previous year I just reached through the window and held it as it dragged on the pavement the mile or so to the Bonsai compound. That was bad because I couldn't move my arm for an hour afterward it just stayed in a cramped curl. Strapping to the roof is definitely the way to go.

This year's was a bit under 50 feet long. It's always exciting because the big bamboo grows on a steep (~45 degree) slope. Today the culm fell down the slope but was immediately caught by the tall pine tree. I used it to climb the hill, moving the base 3 feet or so, then pulling myself up by the culm planted in the ground, then repeating the process. By the time it fell loose from the pine, I was up the hill.

1 comment:

Amy F said...

I was the one who did this several years in a row, and several times almost died in the process. (I would have sworn I did it 2 years ago, but maybe I am wrong). In any case, thank you! My various injuries make steep slopes off limits, w/ or w/o a piece of giant bamboo. I know it is a pain, so thank you, and the fish flags thank you. :-)