Wednesday, April 22, 2009

NASA Celebrates the 50th Anniversery of the first Apollo moon landing...USNA plants "Moon" Sycamore for Earth Day




A "Moon" Sycamore, in this case, is a descendant of a tree that grew from a seed that went to the moon with Stuart Roosa in 1971. We planted this one by Beech Spring Pond in perfect Sycamore habitat! I dug the hole myself and curiously enough, just as I lowered the tree into the hole it began to hail! I swear. I don't know what it means but there must be some significance. Or not.

The event was a joint endeavor with the Arboretum hosting and cooperating with NASA and
American Forests, a conservation organization founded in 1875!!! They support our American forests by both lobbying and actually doing things. Plus they have a great magazine. It was good to plant a tree for Earth Day. We are, after all, an Arboretum.

No comments: