Thursday, March 12, 2009

Epimedium lishihchenii: comes through a tough winter unscarred and Hey! what would you expect to find under a Tree Peony?


Epimedium lishihchenii was collected on the 1994 NACPEC trip to Wudang Shan, of course, in China. It is the second species I have observed to have come through one of our more challenging winters completely unscathed. I photographed it upside down because of the pleasant purple suffusion...it's the little things!

I have been leaning up the Tree Peonies since their buds are swelling. I break off the petioles and prune away suspect shoots. I always remove this debris and throw it away (I don't compost it!) since Peonies are so prone to systemic fungal problems. The flower buds on diseased shoots are much smaller than those on healthy shoots. The diseased stems themselves appear thinner and less vigorous. I found this seedling growing curiously with the seed elevated almost an inch above ground!

No comments: