Friday, March 13, 2009

Arisaema du-bois-reymondiae...souvenir of Lawrence Lee


If there's one thing I remember from my first term in the Asian Collections, it's Arisaemas. Actually that's not one thing, it's a lot of things! We had a lot of Arisaemas: in the collection, in pots in the greenhouse, in small seed flats and large seed flats, and in a constant influx of seeds that we meticulously sowed. I remember once, probably about this time of year, some species, I forget which, had prematurely pushed out of the ground, and with temperatures predicted to drop into the mid-20s, we covered dozens of plants with upended 15 gallon nursery pots and mulch. Why the universe would allow me to remember this and not the outcome I cannot begin to imagine but I assume everything worked out all right. As it doubtless would have without our intervention. Oh well.

This is the first Arisaema I have seen this year and it is barely open. And when I look at the label, there's Larry's name, Lee that is. I may have planted this plant but I don't remember it.

No comments: