Monday, December 17, 2012

These salvaged paperwhites have been flowering in this spot since....about 1970

I planted them because I couldn't bear to throw them out. I don't remember but I'm sure I dragged them mercilessly from December to April. They must have looked horrible by spring. It wouldn't be so amazing that they've been there so long if I wasn't such a young person. Well, I used to be.

They are derived from pre-cooled bulbs that were forced into premature bloom. Curiously now some have reverted and bloom in the spring while others, if the weather allows, flower at the end of the year. I get a big kick out of them but they do make me feel old.

2 comments:

Nic said...

Lovely! I always plant any Paperwhites we have indoors during the winter out in the garden come spring, and while they all leaf out every year they do not seem to want to reflower.

ChrisU said...

These grew for years and years before they finally flowered.