Wednesday, March 14, 2012

A different cherry caught my eye today



It was in the Cherry Nursery so there was more than adequate documentation on this one. I went to Sue Greely and she pulled out a map of the field. There it is: dead center and two thirds of the way up the page. 18-94-2ER translated to a cross between Prunus campanulata and a hybrid double we produced, were intrigued with, then decided against releasing. I'm not saying this cherry deserves to be released; the cherry breeders know far more about that than I do. I'm just saying that I like the color. The older I get the more I seem to be drawn to warm reds and pinks, corals, colors that result when yellow or orange mix with red as opposed to the cooler mixtures of red and blue. I'm just saying.

2 comments:

Nic said...

That color is really intense and it looks like the plant is quite floriferous. Did they give any specific reason as to why this cross was not released? It would certainly make a nice change to the pale pink that seems to be the only color of any ornamental cherries around here...

ChrisU said...

We didn't talk about it. I think they're looking for form and other things over color. I ought to talk more with the breeders.