Tuesday, April 5, 2011

There's nothing better than a box of plants from one of "those" nurseries...


We got a shipment from Cistus today at the Arboretum; they are definitely one of those nurseries! Amanda and I had started the day mulching and Nathan had resumed work on the wall below the Pagoda. Then the rains resumed and drove us out of the collection. Nathan took his new grinder to the shops to finish his bench and Amanda and I potted up the new plants. They aren't all for the Asian Collections; some of them go to Amy for planting in the gardens inside the Bonsai Penjing collections. Still, it's exciting to see new plants even if somebody else is going to plant them. Plus, I know I can root cuttings from the Buddleia, the Trachelospermum jasminoides 'marbled long leaf', and the quince 'Oyashima'. Believe it or not we've never had the Schefflera delavayi and I, we've, wanted it for years. I'm excited about Osmanthus 'Jim Porter', which sounds like a good garden plant. We can see if it's truly hardy in Zone 7. Hey I'm excited about all of them.

No comments: