Sunday, March 13, 2011

I have no idea what this is but I know it wasn't there last year

Yes, I ought to have kept a record and labeled it immediately, but a few slip through the cracks. What can I say? I'm intrigued by it because it seems to be a week or two ahead of, well everything but the early bulbs and the familiar winter perennials. It seems to be budding so I ought to be able to identify it in the next week or so.

I've enjoyed, for years, being half of a horticultural couple. There are always surprises, things you didn't plant and didn't notice, popping up. Since Karen began landscaping, her contributions, though beautiful, are usually not so bizarre as they were when she was at Behnkes, tempted by every new and unique item. I observe this only as part of my admission that almost surely I'm the culprit here. Whatever it is, I planted it. And forgot it completely. Getting old then, is a new way of being surprised in the garden. I haven't got to the point where everything s new to me every year, but increasingly I do find myself coming upon plants unexpectedly that I planted myself.

Regular attendance at the Beltsville Garden Club sales, the FONA plant sale, garden club exchanges, and a circle of friends who are plant fanatics mean that all sorts of odd plants enter the garden. It could be anything!

2 comments:

Samuel said...

What was it? Kind of looks like a fritillaria...

ChrisU said...

Thanks; it is Fritillaria thunbergii. I planted a small plant two years ago and it didn't reappear last year. My aging memory had it in a site about 10 feet away from where it is. So when I looked, I actually did have a record of it! Oh well.