Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Good stuff in Fern Valley! Thalictrum thalictroides 'Shoaff's Double', Sanguinaria canadensis, Hepatica acutiloba



Guess which one of these plants hasn't had a name change recently. You can't go by the names in the post title because I couldn't make myself type "Anemone" for "Hepatica", oops, I gave one away. Anyway, it's hard enough to keep up with the specific epithets for hepaticas, now the genus is changed. It does look like an anemone though. Except for the non'anemoneish leaves. So Hepatica becomes Anemone, and Anomonella becomes Thalictrum....Sanguinaria remains unchanged for the time being. Aghhhhh.

They're not big but they are beautiful, easily enjoyed by people with good vision (not me). I actually caught myself wishing I were about a foot tall to truly appreciate them. The problem is, at that size it would take a lot of time to get from the bloodroots on the main path to the hepatica and the rue=anemones in the shady cultivar area. I guess kneeling and peering are going to have to work for me.

No comments: