Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Pelargonium inquinans, one of the two principal parents of the horticultural "geraniums"


Usually I turn to the Herb Garden's Pelargonium collection for color in the middle of the winter when there's not much else going on. Today I was drawn to the incredible glow of these "Scarlet Pelargoniums". I think you could see them in the dark. Though the leaves are nice and furry; they don't seem to have any scent, at least any good one. Since the collection is, I thought, scented Pelargoniums, I don't know where this leaves us. I guess it's worth growing for that color, fragrance or not.

If you look in the background of the second picture you can see various  other selections. I believe they, GrayC and cohorts (sic), are starting all the plants over this year and so have rooted cuttings and grown a few pots of each cultivar. They have over 100? The adult plants are living outside in the Herb Garden now in terra cotta pots. The army of new plants has made for a pleasantly fragrant summer in Greenhouse Room 8.


No comments: