Friday, June 4, 2010

Pinckneya pubens, Fever Tree is flowering in Fern Valley in the Coastal Plain section

The petaloid sepals will color up more but since I miss it every year I thought I'd go ahead and take this picture today. Native in moist areas of the SE Coastal Plain, and related to the Quinine Tree, Pinckneya was used by Native Americans to reduce fever. Medium to large? trees are spectacular covered with flowers. I've seen them in the Okefenokee Swamp. These plants Joan has have always struggled; I'm not sure they're true Zone 7 plants, but as the world gets warmer and these plants get more firmly established, they seem to be settling in for the long haul. Someday maybe we'll see 100 blooms on this plant!
 This picture is from Monday June 7. There seems to be a bit more color. Maybe more obvious to my eye than in the photo! Oh well. I'll continue monitoring it.

No comments: