Thursday, June 17, 2010

Phytolacca americana variegated form

This is just a wonderfully variegated Pokeweed. I've seen other variegated Pokes and this is by far the best. Sue found it in the Pyracantha Nursery. I swear I never even knew there was a Pyracantha Nursery. And there oughtn't be one. It's a thoroughly obnoxious plant....except, of course, for our own introductions; they're only mildly offensive. And this coming from a guy who likes "over the top". I expect it's just really a matter of style and right now Pyracantha is fighting the current... but I digress.

Sue mentioned this plant this morning, and the fact that she was set to mow it down. I took one look, grabbed my shovel and dug it; it was less than two feet tall. I got the entire root system and the plant was out of the ground for less than 4 minutes, but still it was quite unhappy by the end of the day. It's just a beautiful plant.

3 comments:

NatureBill said...

Beautiful plant. Did the plant survive and/or were seeds collected which came true? If so is it possible to obtain a plant?

Bill

ChrisU said...

Funny you should ask today. That plant did not survive but another with the same variegation appeared last year. Today George took cutting from it. The variegation actually extends to the seeds! I expect we'll germinate some and see if it comes true. When it might be available, I don't know.

ChrisU said...

Funny you should ask today. That plant did not survive but another with the same variegation appeared last year. Today George took cutting from it. The variegation actually extends to the seeds! I expect we'll germinate some and see if it comes true. When it might be available, I don't know.