Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Grand Mart International Foods: I finally took Eugenia's advice and went to this store. Wow!

Banana flowers, buds really. Though tempted, I passed on these. I had no idea what to do with them.
Indian bitter melons. These I've heard of.
Chinese okra. And there were dozens (100+?) of other exotic fruits and vegetables, a good fish market, and aisles and aisles of dry and canned good from many many places. This is not a paid advertisement. This is just a cool place. The store used to be a large Giant Food store so the variety and quantity are ridiculous and as with most of these specialty grocery stores, the prices are below those at the chain stores.

1 comment:

Bea said...

Hi. The Chinese okra you mentioned is actually luffa acutangula-- yes, it is the one we take loofah from. It is the ridged version, and it is a gourd that is edible. In my country we often eat it with noodles and meatballs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luffa_acutangula