Monday, May 17, 2010

Variegated Stylophorum diphyllum in Fern Valley

There are a million Wood Poppies in the collection, I'm surprised there isn't a golden round-leafed one or a tree form! Michael came in this afternoon and asked me if I'd ever seen a variegated Wood Poppy in Fern Valley. Seems like I might have, but I don't remember. Anyway, he told me where this one was (hiding under a fern) and that it was growing with others that were also variegated, though less intensely. I hunted it out and while the gray rainy day didn't allow for a great picture, you get the idea. It's cool. Michael collected seed and we'll see how the progeny turn out.

Some people just "see" better than other people. Of course I've got horrible vision, but if I had the same eyesight as Michael or Pat, I don't think I'd begin to see the things they do. They find a lot of curiosities in the gardens and many of them end up as pictures here. Michael showed me the bugs cavorting on milkweed by the FV Entrance that became my favorite picture of 2009. And other things I can't remember. I vaguely remember reading a long essay/short book by Aldous Huxley: The Art of Seeing. Amidst the nonsense were some interesting ideas about how we "perceive". I know when I meet a new plant or a new mushroom or bird or whatever, with each individual I come upon, it becomes easier and easier to spot them so that occasionally, after hours of looking and not seeing, the species in question turns out to be everywhere. Here's my question though, how do you see things you've never seen before?

No comments: