Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Murraya paniculata, Orange Jessamine, flowers and fruit

I was poking around the warm greenhouse, smelled the Murraya, went in for a look, and found these red fruits about 2 cm long. Though the plants flower readily and frequently; the fruit is not so common. Murraya is a tropical member of the Rutaceae, or the Citrus Family. It's a small tree with a big fragrance. I remember when Brad bought these standards because I had been considering buying one from that same store; they were pretty plants for a good price. I decided the house couldn't hold one more large plant, particularly one that needed direct sun. I'm still not sure if I made the right decision.

These plants are very happy living in a glasshouse, but honestly, if you have a large window that gets at least 3-4 hours of sun in the winter (and you can summer it outside), it's not difficult to maintain, flowering sporadically throughout the year, usually most heavily in spring/summer. The chalky white branches contrast nicely with the dark green foliage. I prefer its fragrance to that of a Gardenia and its a lot easier to maintain.

No comments: