Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Asclepias syriaca and Liatris pycnostachya (I think)...All the Meadow/Prairie flowers aren't yellow!


It just seems that way. I do like yellow but it's good to have other colors. Rudbeckia, Helianthus, Silphium, Ratibida, Solidago are all nice but Dalea is coming and Hibiscus. Maybe Indian Paintbrush, for sure Old Man Vine. Thalictrum flowered but the blooms are so small and the color is so subtle it seems lost in a field. Anyway summer is the season for meadow and prairie plants.

I neglected to fill the hummingbird feeder this Sunday and, I didn't see this myself, but I have it on good authority that goldfinches!!??!! were attempting to eat from the empty feeder. Goldfinches? nectar? I've never heard of such a thing. Anyway its washed and refilled so we'll see.

No comments: