Monday, February 9, 2009

Hydrangea aspera aspera....even the dried flowers look good (China Valley)


I planted this plant in 1991...actually I planted a lot of them and they seem to have by and large survived. Starting on the "mound" in C-5 (a section of China Valley) they wandered down the watercourse to the bottom of the collection. I remember they were in 1 gallon pots and there must have been almost twenty plants total. They seem to be happy, so far as I can judge from dormant plants!

It is an attractive hydrangea; lacecap type inflorescences consisting of a disc of purple/lavender flowers surrounded by almost white sterile florets. Attractive large leaves add a bit of bold texture to the garden. I really do like it and had a 10 year old specimen until last year when I removed it from the Adelphi garden. Growing in sand, it just required too much watering. It was not happy during dry periods in the summer unless I watered it twice a week or more. When I inevitably missed, its ratty miserable appearance reproved me silently for the rest of the season. I couldn't take it any more. I dug the plant and had it sold to a good home.

No comments: