Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Container area at MNCPPC growing facilities in Upper Marlboro

The blog will now have a subtext if not an actual plot line. Will I be employed after November 17, 2008? My four year term position at the National Arboretum expires the middle of November and the rules about term appointments expressly disallow being rehired in the same position; when it's over, it's over. This is presumably a measure to protect us from employment, oops, I mean exploitation. Thank you everyone.

Today I went on a job interview for a greenhouse grower's job with the Maryland National Capitol Park and Planning Commission, MNCPPC in Upper Marlboro. I had a good time at the interview and got a quick tour of the facilities. The greenhouses were in good shape and they grow an incredible range of plants. They provide annuals and perennials for the grounds of their many facilities around the county, "rental houseplants" for events as well as supplying various lobbys and offices with specimen plants. The plants I saw were all in very good condition, not overwatered and free of pests and diseases.

Tonight I filled out an application for another, different!, 4-year term position at the Arboretum. I am old though,56, and although I know I am good for another 15 years, I don't relish the idea of selling myself as a 60 year old gardener in 4 years. I don't know, but we will see.

No comments: