Wednesday, August 27, 2008

My kind of variegation....Weird that is

Somewhat hypocritically, I claim not to especially like variegated plants, but I am a sucker for this variegation. The leaf partially pictured here is from a Xanthosoma selection. What is striking in the picture becomes almost overwhelming when you confront an entire plant. The leaves approach, or surpass, 2' in length.

Another plant that exhibit this typpe of variegation Hedera colchica 'Dentata variegata', which is not so spectacular as Hedera canariensis 'Gloire de Marengo' but is a good bit hardier. It is also not as vigorous as Hedera helix, English Ivy, so all I do is head it back every couple of years and it stays confined under my front steps only creeping out enough to show off its new foliage.

Fern Valley is cultivating a form of Helianthus occidentalis, the Western Sunflower, that exhibits this variegation. It seems to be getting atronger as the plants age. Some of the new shoots that have just appeared are almost totally yellow. I don't know what we'll do with it. License it to Tony Avent probably. Just joking.

No comments: