Thursday, November 25, 2010

I have to decide their fates but my heart is too soft: Pandorea, Coprosma, Zingiber, Colocasia, and Brugmansia





Push has come to shave (it's cliche day here), we're bound to have a frost someday though we seem to have had a few free week for which I am THANKFUL (it's Thanksgiving), and it's time to decide who's going to live and who's going to die.

This is the tough part about growing tropicals here in DC. Unless you have an infinitely large greenhouse you're going to have to make some sacrifices. The variegated Pandorea is a particularly nice plant; I'd hate to see it go. The problem is that so is Coprosma 'Fireburst'. These are both plants new to me and my instinct is to find some way to winter them over. Of course I've been bringing things in for a month and there's absolutely no more space near windows....maybe just a little.

So I'll keep them but it seems so cruel to let the Variegated Ginger, Lime Zinger, and the Brugmansia die just because they're easily replaced. Or because, I have huge pots of the Ginger and Lime Zinger that I can just truncate and store dormant in the cool basement. And it gets worse; looking out the window I can see a tender Agapanthus which reminds me of its two siblings. Agh......!

No comments: