Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Acer palmatum 'Ryusen' fall color at the US National Arboretum

I learned from Joan (Feely in Fern Valley) that if you want to add a plant to the garden and get it in the optimum location, it will inevitably involve moving at least one existing plant. I have been waiting all summer and most of the spring to get this maple where I wanted it. I planted it this spring at the intersection of the path to the Pagoda and Hickey Hill Road, very close to where I wanted it. Unfortunately there was a fairly mature Cercis occupying the perfect spot. The Cercis finally went dormant, Amanda and I moved it, then we shifted 'Ryusen' a few feet. She didn't even lose that great fall foliage, and look how she sits above the evergreen Pachysandra confidantly gracing that plenitude of negative space (I hate that phrase).

All is right with this small corner of the world.

No comments: