Tuesday, February 8, 2011

I'm thinking, if I live to a hundred and become totally immobile I could spend my days with a brick like this

I've admired it daily for years. It lives on the floor of Polyhouse 8 near the hose bib, and is responsible for holding down part of one edge of the black cloth that covers the floor. Today it looked particularly nice as it's sending up, on slender graceful filaments, capsules full of spores. Though I see it every day I'm ashamed to admit that only occasionally do I notice the changes that continually modify the landscape of the brick. It would actually be a tremendous luxury to be able to study it continuously.

4 comments:

Nicola Moss said...

It's wonderful!

Nic said...

I just wanted to say that I absolutely love this post - it is one of the most poetic things I have ever read on a blog.

Amy F. said...

I covet this brick every time I am in the polyhouse

Anonymous said...

What a lovely thought. We spend so much of our lives rushing and fretting and feeling stressed out. It relaxes me just to think of spending time with this beautiful mossy block.