Sunday, September 19, 2010

I spent a few hours today at the Beltsville Library Garden editing

I planted two bags of Autumn Crocus, Crocus speciosus, and a 'Black Lace' Elderberry, Sambucus nigra 'Black Lace'. It's a relatively new selection with almost black foliage. It ought to be great against this beigh "stucco type" wall. Actually it's on the wall facing this one. In order to make room for it I shifted the Fothergilla 'Mt. Airy' around the corner against the north-facing brick wall. I moved the Wax Myrtle, Morella cerifera off that wall to a sunny west- facing site. The Bayberry will be happier, the Fothergilla will look fine with a brick background and the ebony tracery of the Elderberry will have a complementary light background.

While I was at it, I flipped five Sedum 'Autumn Joy' for five Salvia nemerosa 'May Night'. The Salvias weren't getting enough sun and the Sedums were getting too much. It's a giant improvement.

In addition to the Crocus and the Sambucus, I planted three old rose selections: Champney's Pink Cluster, 'Little White Pet', and 'Little Pink Pet'. 

No comments: