Wednesday, July 14, 2010

This is just from last night, it doesn't count the 1 inch that had fallen over the previous week

So we're pretty happy, the gardeners and the plants. I'm actually thinking that at this point in the season, the big trees are okay for this year no matter what the rest of the summer is like. They've done their summer thing, this year's leaves, and while they'll (the trees) need to be hydrated this fall for the winter, I think we can relax about them for the next 6-8 weeks.

It had gotten quite dry but the foliage of established trees and shrubs was looking pretty good, dark green and relatively clean and uneaten. George remarked at lunch how, even after three inches of rain, most areas were far from sloppy wet. Turf is just beginning to green despite a good soaking on Saturday. I stopped at the Library Garden on the way to work and a Basjoo Banana I had transplanted from home 3 weeks ago was finally putting out a new leaf. It had looks pretty sad heretofore. I can't imagine what it will do in that sheltered location with generous watering. It'll be a heft clump by the end of next summer I'm sure.

1 comment:

Connie in Hartwood said...

My neighbor next door said that we got 1.7" here north of Fredericksburg last night! I guess all of our rain dances did the trick.
Connie