Sunday, March 4, 2012

For the record....




They aren't pretty; they are expressions of this exceptionally warm winter: things I've not seen before in the 26 years I've worked in this garden.

From the top Tetrapanax papyrifera, while dependably hardy, has not, before this year survived above ground. Buddleia is perfectly hardy here and often retains some small percentage of it's foliage through the winter. I planted this variegated cv. last fall and not only has it not lost a leaf, it has actually grown leaves during the winter. Elaeagnus x ebbingei 'Gilt Edge' has lived on that nw corner for 20 odd years and has never before gone through a winter with it's leaves intact. They typically scald sometime in January or February so that he plant is hideous for the balance of the winter. Finally at the bottom is Acanthus mollis that has never, in ~15 years, kept an evergreen presence throughout the winter.

As I notice other instances I'll add them to this post so that, by spring, I'll have a more complete list of this winter's anomalies.

No comments: