Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Caragana sinica, Chinese pea shrub, at the base of Korean Hill

f



The plants look great. Actually Korean Hill, the least successful part of the Collection, garden-wise, looks pretty good. Give it a few weeks. 

Caragana is in the Pea Family. There are around 80 species. I remember Wayside Gardens offering a species, I think C. tibetica, as a standard. It must have been the early 70's or even the 60's because the concept of growing a plant as a "standard" was new to me. Our plants are nice this time of year, another yellow for the early spring design palette. There isn't much going on the rest of the year though the bark has a pleasant smell. The flowers are eaten in China for health. They have been shown to be strong antioxidants. I'll eat some tomorrow.I can use all the help I can get!

No comments: