Wednesday, April 27, 2011

FONA PLANT SALE! FONA PLANT SALE! This weekend







(from the top) Asarum caudatum white flowered form, FONA volunteers scanning the horizon for incoming shipments and/or storms, assorted begonias, ferns in the mist, Actinidia pilosula, Corylus 'Red Majestic', various and sundry uncommon shade monocots (I think)

This is the first time I've taken a look at the goodies this year. You can see a list of selections by clicking here. Sally was excited and I have to agree; two excellent years in a row! Lots of beautiful plants and lots of uncommon to downright rare plants. Cistus Nursery has supplied tables and tables of one-of-a-kind rarities, Plant Delights sent some wonderful plants too. And that's just two vendors.

The Friends of the National Arboretum stages this Garden Fair/Plant Sale every spring; proceeds go to support the National Arboretum. It's always important. The azaleas are peaking this week or next so everybody's thinking about us and our needs. Shopping from FONA benefits us directly but if you're local and can attend the sale, make sure to check out the smaller vendor tents. Very good material and if we want to be able to continue to obtain unusual and rare plants we have to support these guys. I'm not going to go down a list of great small specialty nurseries that have gone under in the last few years......too painful. Shopping at these small tents is a lot like shopping online. You'll see things that will never show up at Behnke's or Merrifield's and definitely not the box stores. It's exciting....and expensive, but portions of their proceeds go to us as well.

You've gotta love that Asarum; they've got six I think, pretty good-sized plants. I've lusted after that Actinida ever since I saw it at Courtnay Daniel's 15 acre garden two years ago. That red Harry Lauder's Walking Stick....wow! I actually passed on it at.............Home Depot.........two years ago. I think I was in shock from seeing it there. Anyway this isn't even the tip of the iceberg so if you're local, or ever kind of local, it'd be worth a trip this Saturday (Friday for members).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amazing plant sale list! This time of year always gets me excited! As always, I greatly enjoy your blog. Thanks for posting. I always look forward to the out-of-this-world cool plants and your shared experiences in the garden!