Monday, March 28, 2011

At last, flowers on the Franklinia alatamaha x Camellia japonica cross from Dr. Ackerman



They're interesting looking, maybe what might be expected from a cross between a franklina and a Camellia japonica. We also have a seedling from this plant with fat buds that won't open for a while. It's obviously a double flower; I'll be curious to see what it looks like. The cuttings from the plant in the picture above rooted, and were potted up last fall. They seem to have rooted out through the small pots they're in but are showing no signs of growth. Possibly they want more warmth, but that isn't typical of Camellia japonica. Franklinias in a warmer greenhouse, haven't begun to grow yet, so it could be a reflection of that side of its heritage. Or it could just be we potted the cutting up too soon and they're being a bit recalcitrant. I expect time will tell.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd will suffer for the cause by test growing this in my garden in California. It's a sacrifice but I'm willing to do it.

Anonymous said...

I too would sacrifice for the cause- I am in Central PA. Wow!!