Tuesday, December 14, 2010

If you don't poke around, you miss stuff. Osmanthus fragrans var. aurantiacus

The tag says Osmanthus fragrans yellow-flowered form; it looks like what I know of as var. aurantiacus. It has a wonderful fragrance, but the Polyhouse was so cool and dark I had to work to smell it. Actually, I didn't find this on my own. Sue Bentz tipped me off that there were a handful fo different O. fragrans in one of the Research houses. They're going to maybe, remake the heterophyllus x fragrans cross that produced Osmanthus x fortunei? Or something. I didn't care; I just like the fragrance. One of the first plants we put into the Florida garden was Osmanthus fragrans, the species. It'll be flowering in two weeks when we get there regardless of how cold it gets in the interim.

No comments: