Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Ipomopsis rubra: I know it's summer because:



1. The red-flowered perennials are flowering. Ipomopsis rubra and Monarda didyma.
2. The Crape myrtles are flowering.
3. 85% of the last 25 day the temperature has reached 88F.
4. Fields are turning from green to yellow.
5. I found a 2 1/2 foor Mulberry weed, Fatoua villosa.
6. Pokeweed is flowering.
7. Interns are here.
8. The picture boxes in the weather forecast show showers every day but they usually mean a 10% chance.
9. Fruits are forming everywhere.
10.The yellow composites are flowering in the Fern Valley Meadow and Prairie

While some of these things are usual for mid-June, I think it's fair to say that we're still a couple of weeks ahead of where we would have expected to have been on June 15.

The Ipomopsis is flowering in the Fern Valley Coastal Plain section. I think these are plants that came from seed we collected in Bibb County Alabama. Bright red flowers and ferny foliage...I like it. It's a plant that's grown more commonly farther south, but I think maybe with good siting and Zone Creep, we could at least give it a try here in the DC area. It's either a short-lived perennial or a biennial. If you google it you will find pictures of huge clumps, many of them in Texas. These plants went out last year so a least they're winter hardy; we'll have to watch and see how it goes from here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was searching for Ipomopsis seed and this post appeared. Thought I'd add my experience, hope it helps. You should be able to grow it in DC. I live in WV and have grown I.rubra for the past 2 years as an annual. The first year I started them early and transplanted them, which worked well. They all bloomed that summer. They did not survive the winter, but they reseeded profusely (I pulled up many that were out of the bounds of that flower bed). The new plants are flowering now.

ChrisU said...

Thanks, I hope I do as well. I. rubra did live through last winter and has, at this point, been flowering for over a month. I recently added a plant of I. aggregata in the same bed. Maybe I'll get mixed progenty?