Thursday, February 19, 2009

Epimedium latisepalum (hyperbole below)


Many of us have lusted after the delights promised by Chen Yi. I would be lying if I claimed that I had never indulged, but I must have been there on the wrong nights because I was never offered Epimedium latisepalum. Apparently she has been around for a while and the idea that our paths never crossed is incomprehensible. The form and grace of this plant are unmatched by any plant I have ever seen. And I have spent my life looking.

The leaves are similar to those of other large-leafed Epimediums but somehow different; they're a little bit larger, a good bit thicker, maybe a little darker green, and the form, did I mention it?, is perfect. I have one in a bud vase and I could just sit here and look at it....but then I wouldn't finish writing this. Not only are the individual stems perfect, the plants, with stems spaced and arranged to maximize exposure to light, are three-dimensional sculptures. This plant could be the basis for the entire Eastern aesthetic.

I don't know what the flowers look like and I don't care; it doesn't matter. Research tells me that they are yellow and large but this plant isn't about flowers. It has been some time since I have met a plant I really had to have, but I found it at Lazy S'S Farm Nursery and it will be mine.

No comments: