Saturday, February 16, 2013

Our hillside of winter jasmine has been flowering for more than a month...

...it doesn't seem to be especially dependent on winter warmth to flower. It starts early and slowly, then, explodes sometime near the end of winter.This planting in the valley has been here a long time. I like the choice of location because, honestly, though I love and value the cheery yellow flowers in winter, it's a bit coarse and rowdy. It works well at a distance in a space where it has room to roam.

For years I tried, well actually more than tried, to include this in residential landscapes. It's a wonderful plant and great fun especially for those people who didn't know there were plants that flowered in the winter. Still, I suspect I didn't always give it the space that it deserved, and probably eventually took!

6 comments:

MulchMaid said...

That's one I enjoy on winter walks here. Since I see a lot of young specimens, I didn't know it got rangy. Guess it won't be coming to my garden anytime soon.

ChrisU said...

I didn't say that right. It doesn't so much get rangy, as it ranges around.

Nic said...

In the mountainous part of southern Germany where I lived as a child this plant is very commonly planted along the upper edge of retaining walls and the like so that it can cascade downward, exactly because of that growth habit.

ChrisU said...

That's the perfect place for it. Brookside Gardens used to have a long planting alongside their conservatory that cascaded over a wall and the Rockefeller garden in NW Washington has a similar planting.

Nora Ramli said...

I love your picture ..so beautiful..

dienhoa10h said...

hoa dep
hoa, hoa tuoi, dien hoa