Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Tetrapanax papyrifer....I'm a sucker for backlit leaves

It's been a good year for Rice-paper plants hereabouts. This is, for at least the time being, the northern end of their range in eastern North America. More often than not, the winter temperatures drop sufficiently to kill the plants to the ground. They resprout dependably but have to start from the ground and so typically don't get much over 8-10 feet tall. Well, this past winter was real warm. The aboveground portions survived and there are some tall Tetrapanax around this year. I hear one in the garden of a fellow Four Seasons garden club member, actually two members (did I say that) was 15 feet tall a month ago.It's probably pushing 20 now.

This plant is in our garden in Adelphi and it's a bit over 8 feet tall. I guess I'll keep growing it though frankly it scares the crap out of me. I had to rein one in at the Arboretum and it wasn't easy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I grow mine in a pot cuz it can really run!

MulchMaid said...

Uh oh - I've heard the stories about those. So far mine is new enough to be a very cool novelty, but I know of people who took out small jungles of them after the honeymoon was over.