Saturday, August 27, 2011

Hurricane Irene is headed towards the National Arboretum and I get to work the last half of the storm

Actually, she's headed towards the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay but that puts us well within the radius of her effects. The strongest winds are forecast for right around midnight tonight. By morning the storm'll be headed away and I'll be headed in because I'm the weekend waterer this Sunday! I never actually post from work but if I have time, I'll sneak in a small one.

The storm has actually decreased considerably in strength both in terms of where she was yesterday and where she was predicted to be today. It begins to look like the horror that we had feared won't come to pass. There was some thought yesterday that damage would be serious enough that the government would be shut down here Sunday and so I wouldn't even go in. I'm thinking that's not going to happen. Still, trees weakened by a prolonged semi-drought, turgid with two weeks of good rain, and standing in saturated soil, won't so hard to push them over as they normally would be. We'll have to wait and see.

1 comment:

bocah ingusan said...

the strom goes by buddy..