Friday, February 25, 2011

I ought to have suspected from this sky that something was amiss




Another funny weather day at the Arboretum. Rain on the way to work increased in intensity around 6:30, then slowed again. I must have missed something in the forecast because mid-morning the rain went away, the sun came out, and it warmed up. I saw an opportunity to get a bit of cleanup done for the weekend; we ought to have visitors this weekend because things are beginning to happen. I grabbed a leaf blower and cleaned out a few beds near the road before lunch. After lunch I headed out to do the paths but things changed quickly and dramatically. One minute it was a balmy 60+ day with no wind and few clouds; Then the sky darkened and black clouds rolled in. Within minutes the sky cover coalesced, the wind picked up, and serious rain fell. I was totally soaked by the time I got back to my vehicle. I headed in, driving past Beechspring Pond, with all those geese. I think I took all these pictures withing 5 minutes. The first two I snapped while I was blowing the GCA circle, and the other two are out the window on the way back in.

But wait; it continues. By the time I got back in (<10 minutes) the sun was out, which did me no good because the wind was too strong to work in the garden. I was in half an hour or so when the wind began to attack one of our polyhouses. Gusts right around 60mph. It's been some winter.

No comments: